Buying or selling a house in Canterbury – what you need to know
Buying or selling a house is one of the most important events in your life. There are lots of things to think about, and insurance is one of them.
It is a good idea to get onto it early in order to make sure everything runs as smoothly as possible. We can help you through the process of gathering all the information that may be required by your bank.
There are a number of things to consider:
Ask the vendor or the real estate agent to help you with the following:
- Has any damage been made to the house by the Christchurch earthquakes?
- Have any claims been lodged with EQC and the private insurer regarding the damage?
- What are the associated claim numbers?
- Confirm that any ECQ and private insurer claims will be assigned to you, as the purchaser of the house
Provide your real estate agent with the following:
- Any recent house inspection reports
- Details of the current insurer
- The associated house policy number
- Details of any earthquake damage
- Details of any claims lodged with EQC or your private insurer
- A signed authority for any of this information to be made available to any purchaser
Published on Monday, August 19th, 2013, under Latest News